Tuesday, July 27, 2010

#021 Daily Sketches 27-07-2010

As I sat down at the dinner table to draw with David last night, I had a pretty good general idea of where I was headed; I had posted yesterday’s blog entry a few hours prior and was going to expand my whole body shape concept and style; as I said in my previous post, I want to push the sizes much further then what I already had, because when I look at a slim or fat guy in a Pixar movie, they don’t look as standard as what I had drawn and I’m aiming for something out of the ordinary. First things first, I dedicated myself to the slim shape yesterday and explored various ways to add style and body to this faceless character’s shape and posture. I found my first body to be a little stiff, but it was a start; the second one I liked because I love drawing low shoulders and long trapezius; in the third body, I tried to go for an in-between of the first two. The fourth figure I exaggerated even more, pushing the shoulders way down and drawing even thinner limbs. In the fifth, I didn’t quite know where to go anymore and just went with a more natural feel to the posture. By the time I got to the sixth figure, an idea sprouted: would a slim hero have the same posture and look as the other ones? I lifted that chest and gave more confidence to the shape; there’s our young paladin. Still in the same line of thought, I drew the final figure thinking of what a shady thief or rogue could look like, where he some skinny guy.


Tonight or some other day, I’m pretty sure I’ll continue expanding on these shapes; our slim figure might even get some more, who knows? My trick for today, in complement to the sketch I’ve posted, is to think outside the box when you think you’ve hit a wall. By the fifth figure, I was running out of ideas, but then I thought: “hey, these shapes are for characters, what would these characters be like?” and I got two more figures out of this; had I had more time to draw, who knows how many more I could have drawn? What would a slim archer look like? Or a slim warlock? Think outside the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment